The libretto of Handel’s shortest opera is based on Plutarch’s account of the life of the cruel Roman consul and dictator Lucius Cornelius Sulla.
He was a figure who went down in history above all for his reign of terror, his libertine life-style and his unexpected abdication and withdrawal to private life. As Sulla voluntarily declined his rulership, Handel was able to provide a “lieto fine” – the happy ending typical of Baroque opera.
– Detailed preface by the editor (in German and English)
– Reflects the latest state of research
- Urtext of the Halle Handel Edition
- Full score (BA10701-01) and vocal score (BA10701-90) available for sale
- Performance material available for hire (BA10701-72)